When we talk about saving money during Christmas, typically we’re talking about Christmas shopping. What a tempting time of year to run up that credit card. Use these ideas to save money this Christmas or prepare to save more money next Christmas.
There are a gazillion ways to save money which is just one of the reasons why I love my job so much. The information we share with you each year here at Better Budgeting is abundant. And the holidays are certainly one of those times when we need to implement as many money-saving tips as we can, so that we can spend less and enjoy the true meaning of Christmas.
I’ve listed 39 simple ways to save money during the Christmas holidays below, you may have tried some of them already but hopefully there will be a few more ideas you can add to your frugal holiday traditions.
1. If it’s not in your budget to send Christmas cards this year it’s okay, your friends and family will understand. If you do want to send them but need to scale down consider sending cards to the people you would like to get in touch with the most.
2. Send postcards or letters, instead of Christmas cards.
3. You can even cut your old Christmas cards from last year in half, and send the pretty side as a postcard. I did this many years and it works great, plus you’re being ‘earth friendly’ by keeping new cards out of the garbage dumps.
4. If you send postcards, whether purchased or homemade, remember they require less postage than a regular card.
5. Christmas cards always go on sale in December and the longer you wait the better.
6. If you purchase inexpensive cards at a discount store be sure to look at them carefully. Some actually look cheap, while others are much prettier. If you do decide to buy Christmas cards they might as well look nice.
7. For friends and family that live out of state, or out of the country, make a phone call instead of sending a card in the mail. Your loved ones would probably enjoy talking with you by phone much more.
8. Use pretty magazine pages to wrap small gifts.